Canyon’s overall sustainability goal is, quite simply, to outperform. Wherever possible we will exceed our customers’ standards and regulatory requirements. We will accomplish this through the continuous improvement of our equipment, processes, materials and training.
- We know that newer equipment, when combined with expert and committed crews, reduces the likelihood of environmental mishap.
- We offer a green alternative for almost all formulations in our product line-up and we’re fully up-to-date with regulatory requirements potable groundwater protection.
- Canyon’s equipment has built-in environmental protection features. All trucks carry drip trays to capture even tiny leaks and avoid ground contamination.
- We use double containment in any areas with potential for leakage, even where not required by regulations.
- Canyon performs or undergoes continuous internal and external safety inspections.
We employ environmentally friendly materials wherever possible, and use the most modern available equipment to minimize the risks of spills or leakage.
We've been committed to safe operations since inception - and we have backed it up with a formal safety management system and full-time HSE advisors throughout our operations. We ensure that all our employees have the tools, equipment, knowledge and training to be safe and effective in the field. Our measured safety performance is consistently well above the average for the service and supply sector in Western Canada.
nanoFLO™ is a suite of complex nano-fluid (CnF) formulations that reduce formation damage, phase trapping, enhance the flowback of stimulation fluids, and increase production of reservoir liquids. nanoFLO™ formulations are optimized based on the parameters of the reservoir and the stimulation fluid. They have been field proven in wells and formations across North America, showing immediate and long-term success, including increased load fluid recovery, increased liquid hydrocarbon production, reduced damage from shut-in, and longer effective fracture lengths.
Canyon’s kleanFLO™ is a synthetic Associative Polymer Technology (APT) designed for foamed fracturing applications using N2 and CO2. This leading edge technology provides superior proppant transport, fluid leak off control and well clean-up. kleanFLO™ utilizes breakers to create a clean break without leaving polymer residue, and provides excellent proppant pack conductivity.
Citrulene™ is Canyon’s citrus terpene based solvent that is an excellent performing replacement for xylene. Citrulene™ meets the performance requirements of solvency, while allowing Canyon to move away from BTEX (Benzene, Toluene, Ethyl-Benzene & Xylene) based solvents and their associated health concerns. The attached table outlines the health & environmental performance of Citrulene™ compared to Xylene & Toluene.
Environmental concerns from the public, regulatory authorities and producers are driving rapid changes to fracturing and other well-servicing chemistries – and Canyon is staying ahead of the curve by proactively researching and rolling out environmentally friendly new chemistries.
Some of our green initiatives include:
- Developing approaches that are innately environmentally friendly such as our Grand Canyon™ Process which requires zero external water for the fracturing process
- Offering environmentally friendly versions of all our water-based fracturing fluids – linear, foamed and cross-linked gels.
- Developing new fracturing fluid systems that are non-toxic and non-threatening to water wells and potable groundwater in compliance with the Energy Resources Conservation Board's Directive 27